Saturday, October 23, 2010

Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter

Seriously, this is the BEST spaghetti sauce I have ever had. No bottle sauce can touch it. It is worth trying! Sorry I don't have a picture.

One 28-ounce whole plum tomatoes (use San Marzano they are hard to find but worth it. I found mine at Smith's Marketplace).
5 Tablespoons butter (I used margrine and it worked fine).
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and halved.
Heat a heavy, medium saucepan over medium heat. Add all of the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low to keep a steady simmer. Cook for 45 minutes, stir occasionally. Discard onion and serve over pasta.
I didn't discard the onion. I cut the onion after I took it out of the sauce and mixed little chunks back in. It was so good!!! (It needs salt but you salt it to taste)

No comments:

Post a Comment